Wednesday, June 10, 2009

RERAIL!!!

The new gunwales are on the hull! It was easier and more difficult than I though it would be. It took two days. It took two day because I worked slow, and quit early to go to a matinee. The port side was first, mainly because that side didn't have the old rails attached(remember the tear?).
I used almost all the clamps I have, except for the longest bar clamps, and the smallest. Needed them all. The most difficult part of all was trimming the ends. It takes practice. 7 or 8 more boats and I might figure it out. The directions,instructions, suggestions, or what ever you want to call it that I found on the Madriver web site helped some, but it was still difficult. The end result is that there won't be inset decks, that's the way it goes. Remember, this isn't a show piece.
Here it is with one side done.
Notice all the tools and clamps in the boat, used them all. Plus the stuff you don't see. The rails where attached from the center out. The center was easy.
















Here is the old and new.


I like the new side too!
















But all was not perfect on this sunny day. My wife decided to start a new project. Part of the new project entailed rinsing gravel. Go figure, when 'shewhomustbeobeyed wants clean gravel, who an I to argue. It wasn't the rinsing that was the problem, it was where it was done. Which just happened to be at the stern of the boat. Which is slightly up hill of the boat. Remember Mr. Newton and that whole gravity thing? The water ran just along side of the canoe, so I spent half the day working in mud.
Any way, The next day, I got the other rail on. It was the same story,easy in the middle and not so easy at the ends. I used all types of tools to shape and fit the ends, and the came out looking like crap, so don't expect a close up.
Here she is with her newest clothes:



The thwarts are temporary, just to keep her stiff.

All that's left is new thwarts, yoke, decks, and some more fiber glass repair. Moving along.

In all the stress, and difficulties and problems I had to keep reminding myself, something that most in this boat hobby know very, very well. It helped when thing got tough with the ends.
It goes something like this, not exactly, but you know what I mean:

There is nothing my friends, nothing quite so worth doing as messing about with boats.

See you next time, fair winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment